Binghamton Backpack Program
By WBNG News
Story Created: Dec 22, 2009 at 5:23 PM EST
Story Updated: Dec 22, 2009 at 5:46 PM EST
Watch The Video
Binghamton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) Hundreds of students will take home nutritious meals for the holiday break
Multimedia Watch The Video Community Hunger Outreach Warehouse Director Ed Blaine spoke to Rotary International about the Backpack Program.
It provides kids with individually packaged food that they can prepare on their own, without a stove.
Blaine says nearly 40 percent of children qualify for a subsidized lunch during the school year.
This program makes sure the they have something to eat when they're not in school.
"The needs getting more and we're trying to get enough volunteers and enough of a program assistance here in Broome County that the Food Bank of the Southern Tier can expand the program in Broome County and really reach out to more children," says CHOW Director, Ed Blaine.
The program served more than a thousand kids during the 2007-2008 school year.
CHOW packs up the backpacks on the second Wednesday of every month.
If you'd like to donate your time or money to the program, call CHOW at (607) 724-9130.
- ► 2013 (27)
- ► 2012 (35)
- ► 2011 (19)
- ► 2010 (278)
- Christmas Party at the Council
- Article mentioning the Jail Ministry Program
- CHOW article in Press & Sun Bulletin
- WBNG Coverage of the Backpack Program
- Binghamton University Article
- Press & Sun Article Mentioning CHOW
- Press Release 12-8-09
- Donations Funds In Memory of Antoun
- Operation Safeguard
- Hi Greg, I just wanted to wish you a very Merry ...
- FIA Volunteers Advisory Committee news
- Press & Sun: Mark your calendars
- Press & Sun: A Time to Give
- ▼ December (13)