July 10, 2010
Thanks for wheelchair ramp
Twentysome years ago, my sister Cindy's husband, Ben Harendza, was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. At the time, Ben was in his early 30s, working at the Wyoming Youth Center, coaching youth wrestling and had become a state-certified wrestling referee. He also was raising his two young sons.
While this news was absolutely devastating to Ben and our families, Ben has never let his incurable disease define him and his outlook on life. He continued work and remained involved in youth and high school wrestling for many years. But Ben's Parkinson's has continued to progress to the point that he now requires the assistance of a wheelchair.
On a recent weekend through its Summer Volunteer Project, the Broome County Council of Churches, Inc. and St. Mark's Episcopal Church constructed an exterior wheelchair ramp at the Harendzas' home in Johnson City.
Our families are grateful to both of these wonderful organizations for constructing this ramp.
Yuba City, Calif.
- ► 2013 (27)
- ► 2012 (35)
- ► 2011 (19)
- Wheelchair Ramp Donations
- Faith in Action Golf Tournament
- Volunteers for the Orchard Planting Day Needed
- Volunteers needed for the CHOW Orchard Planting Da...
- Ed Blaine's Letter to the Editor
- Letter to the Editor: Thanks for wheelchair ramp
- CHOW to receive money from Walmart
- WBNG: Vexed Over Vetoes
- MudCat Grant 2010
- MudCat Grant Golf Tournament
- Nonprofits Brace for State Cuts
- Budget Crisis - CHOW
- ▼ July (12)