Monday, December 20, 2010
11 Binghamton-area groups receive Gannett Foundation grants
The Binghamton Philharmonic, the United Way of Broome County and Mothers & Babies Perinatal Network are among the 11 Binghamton-area groups that received Gannett Foundation grants this year.
The foundation gives grants to organizations in communities where Gannett Co. Inc. owns a daily newspaper or television station.
Binghamton-area groups received $28,700, while Elmira-area programs received $11,100 and Ithaca-area groups received $10,000.
Local grant recipients included:
* United Way of Broome County: $9,700 for its 2010 campaign
* Binghamton Philharmonic: $2,000 in support of coaching sessions with members of the Binghamton Youth Symphony
* Boys & Girls Club of Western Broome: $2,000 in support of the Triple Play health and wellness program
* Broome County Gang Prevention: $2,000 toward after-school programming at the Tabernacle Youth Center
* Broome County Council of Churches: $2,000 in support of the Youth Initiative Wheel Chair Ramp program
* Catholic Charities of Chenango: $2,000 in support of their Roots & Wings food security pilot program
* Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Tioga County: $1,000 in support of the Incredible Years Parents and Toddler Series
* Kopernik Observatory & Science Center: $2,000 in support of their pilot program to introduce economically disadvantaged preschoolers in Broome County to age-appropriate experiential learning in the physical sciences
* Metro Interfaith Housing Management Corp.: $1,500 toward replacement of the roof at 94 Henry Apartments, located on New Street in Binghamton
* Mothers & Babies Perinatal Network: $3,000 to help provide food for the Parents as Leaders Family Resource Centers' Dinner Bell and Breakfast programs
* Rescue Mission Alliance of Syracuse: $1,500 toward the purchase of furnishings and equipment for a residential facility for homeless men located at 56-58 Whitney Ave. in Binghamton.
Nonprofits interested in applying for a Gannett Foundation grant can get guidelines and an application at www.gannettfoundation.org. Applications will be reviewed twice in 2011. Deadlines for applying are Feb. 15 and Aug. 16.
Contact Jan Lesko at (607) 798-1112 with questions. Grant applications should be sent to Sherman Bodner, president and publisher, Press & Sun-Bulletin, P.O. Box 1270, Binghamton, N.Y. 13902-1270.
View Article Here
- ► 2013 (27)
- ► 2012 (35)
- ► 2011 (19)
- At midnight or morning, Southern Tier Christians g...
- 11 Binghamton-area groups receive Gannett Foundati...
- Help needed to deliver toys
- "Food For Fines" At Broome County Public Library
- Donate to CHOW, get free Frosty
- Letter to the Editor
- In Memory of Edward T Gidzinski
- Mirabito to collect food for CHOW
- CHOW Benefit Concert - 12/4/2010
- Food for Fines at the Broome County Library
- Chorus concert to benefit CHOW
- Soldier in war on hunger devotes self to community...
- ▼ December (12)