RTS middle school to welcome King Arthur Flour co. students to bake bread for CHOW
Last Update: 11/03 11:57 am
From SV School District Public Information Coordinator:
RTS Middle School to Welcome King Arthur Flour Co. Students to bake bread for CHOW
Something's cooking at Susquehanna Valley's Richard T. Stank Middle School! Actually, something's baking!
Wednesday, November 18, 2009, Paula Gray from King Arthur Flour Company will visit the middle school to teach students how to bake bread; and the lessons they learn will help to feed local families!
7th and 8th grade students will start their day with back to back assemblies at which Ms. Gray will enlist the aid of a pair of student baking assistants! By the end of the day, students will have all the skills and supplies they need to bake loaves of bread. The King Arthur Flour Co. is supplying two kinds of flour, recipe books, yeast, bread bags and dough scrapers for each student.
At the end of the day November 18, each student will be given enough supplies to make two loaves of bread at home. One loaf is to stay at home and the second loaf is to be returned to school Monday, November 23. The returned loaves will be donated to C.H.O.W. (Community Hunger Outreach Warehouse). "I have already had several conversations with the director of C.H.O.W. about this donation and they are excited about it," said RTS Middle School Family and Consumer Sciences (FACS) teacher Charlene Reagan. "We are one of only three schools in NY selected for this program."
Mrs. Reagan's FACS Club will be very busy during this project. "Wegman's donated bags for us to fill with supplies for each student. FACS Club will fill the bags and distribute them to students as they leave school November 18, and will collect the loaves of bread students bring back," Reagan said. FACS Club members will also be baking additional loaves of bread in the classroom to add to the C.H.O.W. donation.
Here's a link to the King Arthur Flour education website where you can watch some videos of the actual assembly: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/baking/life-skills-baking.html
- ► 2013 (27)
- ► 2012 (35)
- ► 2011 (19)
- ► 2010 (278)
- Valerie Zehl article mentioning CHOW
- WBNG Holiday Train
- Press & Sun Article for CHOW 11-25-09
- News Channel 34 11-23-09
- In Memory of James Wm Kildare, Sr
- In Memory of Larry Relyea
- Earnest About Thanksgiving
- WBNG Article
- Press & Sun Article 11-20-09
- Tweet from News Channel 34 11-20-09
- Website Update
- Article on News Channel 34
- Article mentioning Dr Joe and CHOW
- Article about Concert donating to CHOW
- Article about Vestal Business Donations
- Tweet from WBNG 11-17-09
- Jail Ministry Facebook Post
- Minutes for FIA Advisory Meeting
- Honorees and Speakers for Lives of Commitment 2010...
- Hoiday Craft Fair
- Holiday Train
- Jail Ministry on Facebook asking for bags to be de...
- Our Annual CHOW donor
- Congregation Blast for CHORUSES FOR CHOW
- Press Release for Operation Safeguard
- Article for a concert benefiting CHOW
- CHOW Advisory Minutes for November
- Broome County Council of Churches Jail Ministry Po...
- Letter and Guidelines sent to all Broome Bounty Ag...
- Video and Article with Dr Joe
- Memo from Elizabeth Church Manor
- Press Article for CHOW
- NewsChannel 34 article about CHOW fundraiser
- Article about upcoming interview with Joanne on WS...
- CHOW video and article at WBNG
- Beautiful Plain announces humanitarian awards
- ▼ November (36)