November 24, 2009
SV Students Bake Bread for C.H.O.W.
Using baking lessons acquired in a school assembly, dozens of 6th and 7th grade students at SV's Richard T. Stank Middle School spent hours last weekend in the kitchen, baking bread for their own families and for families in need.
Wednesday, November 18, 2009, Paula Gray from King Arthur Flour Company visited the middle school to teach students how to bake bread. Mrs. Gray's baking assistants during the first assembly were Ian Lupole, Kate Meade and Kory Harder; second assembly assistants were Linnea Kolanda, Jacob Jackowsky and Katie Kitchen.
As they left school that day, each student was given a bread-baking kit containing all the ingredients necessary to bake two loaves of bread. Their assignment: bake two loaves - keep one at home to enjoy and bring the other back to school to be donated to the Community Hunger Outreach Warehouse (C.H.O.W.)
On November 23, students returned with 209 loaves of bread!
"C.H.O.W. was very excited about this project and the donation," said RTS Middle School Family and Consumer Sciences (FACS) teacher Charlene Reagan. "The donated bread filled eight large boxes, which nearly completely filled the C.H.O.W. van."
Mrs. Reagan credited the King Arthur Flour Co., Wegman's, and her Family and Consumer Sciences Club members for the success of the project. "Wegman's donated bags for us to fill with supplies for each student. FACS Club members filled the bags and distributed them to students as they left school November 18, and helped to collect the loaves of bread students brought back," Reagan said.
- ► 2013 (27)
- ► 2012 (35)
- ► 2011 (19)
- ► 2010 (278)
- Valerie Zehl article mentioning CHOW
- WBNG Holiday Train
- Press & Sun Article for CHOW 11-25-09
- News Channel 34 11-23-09
- In Memory of James Wm Kildare, Sr
- In Memory of Larry Relyea
- Earnest About Thanksgiving
- WBNG Article
- Press & Sun Article 11-20-09
- Tweet from News Channel 34 11-20-09
- Website Update
- Article on News Channel 34
- Article mentioning Dr Joe and CHOW
- Article about Concert donating to CHOW
- Article about Vestal Business Donations
- Tweet from WBNG 11-17-09
- Jail Ministry Facebook Post
- Minutes for FIA Advisory Meeting
- Honorees and Speakers for Lives of Commitment 2010...
- Hoiday Craft Fair
- Holiday Train
- Jail Ministry on Facebook asking for bags to be de...
- Our Annual CHOW donor
- Congregation Blast for CHORUSES FOR CHOW
- Press Release for Operation Safeguard
- Article for a concert benefiting CHOW
- CHOW Advisory Minutes for November
- Broome County Council of Churches Jail Ministry Po...
- Letter and Guidelines sent to all Broome Bounty Ag...
- Video and Article with Dr Joe
- Memo from Elizabeth Church Manor
- Press Article for CHOW
- NewsChannel 34 article about CHOW fundraiser
- Article about upcoming interview with Joanne on WS...
- CHOW video and article at WBNG
- Beautiful Plain announces humanitarian awards
- ▼ November (36)