Wednesday, October 13, 2010
Knock Em Down for Ramp It Up
Up To The Minute News
Knock ‘Em Down for Ramp it Up Wheelchair Program
Print Story Published: 10/12 3:05 pm
A “Knock ‘Em Down For Ramp It Up” bowling tournament to raise money to build wheelchair ramps for the elderly and infirm or homebound will be held at 12 Noon Sunday, Oct. 23, at Sunset Lanes in Kirkwood.
“The money raised at this family event will help underwrite costs to build wheelchair ramps next summer through this youth initiative,” said Joanne Kays, program director of the Faith In Action Volunteers program of the Broome County Council of Churches. “Not only do we help the homebound have better access in and out of their homes, we help youth groups work with adult mentors to give back to the community and learn what it means to be a good neighbor.”
The ramps are built at no cost to the recipients, according to Greg Jenkins, co-director of the Ramp It Up program.
The bowling tournament provides three games of bowling, shoe rental, food and beverages and gifts and prizes through a competitive division or family/fun division. Registration fee is $20 per person with four people on a team. The public is invited to enter as a team. Call the Council of Churches at 724-9130 to register as a team, or download registration forms at www.broomecouncil.net. The event will be held from Noon to 4 p.m. with bowling beginning at 12:30 p.m.
Thirteen ramps were constructed this past summer at an average cost of $1,500 per ramp resulting in easier access for residents of these homes. The ramps were built by teams of volunteer youth groups, mainly from local congregations under adult mentors’ supervision.
- ► 2013 (27)
- ► 2012 (35)
- ► 2011 (19)
- Quote found on topics.treehugger.com
- Ithaca Journal: Weinermobile
- Weinermobile and CHOW
- Tweet (retweeted by Susanne) about FIA Bowling Tou...
- Twitter Posting about FIA Bowling Event
- Knock 'Em Down Article and Video
- Hunger Walk on Fox News
- Weinermobile fundraiser for CHOW
- IBM Fundraiser for CHOW
- Halloweenie Time
- Healthier Lifestyle Intern Posting
- pressconnects: CHOW Hunger Walk Results
- CHOW Hunger Walk Results
- Restaurant Week Donation
- Tweet from @binghamtonu - Facebook pictures from B...
- Tweets from reporter about the CHOW Walk
- Tweet from Binghamton News: CHOW Walk
- WBNG: CHOW WALK
- Tweet: CHOW Walk
- Mayor to Announce Restaurant Week Results
- Knock 'Em Down for Ramp It Up
- Knock Em Down for Ramp It Up
- Obituary for CHOW Volunteer
- PressConnects: Urban Farmers Pitch In For Global E...
- Volunteer Quote
- Pipe Dream Article about their Food Pantry
- Volunteer Walkers Still Needed for Chow Hunger Wal...
- Facebook: Reentry Concert
- Obituary from Donor - Contributions towards CHOW
- It’s voting time again. The CHOW Farm has begun...
- ▼ October (30)